My journey to the library.

My Journey to the Library.

Friday, July 23, 2010

"Aha!"


Aha = More than an idea, or an epiphany, aha moments demand attention and action.

A friend of my mine says that the universe sometimes gives you what you need, rather than what you want. I am guilty of responding to the urgent (work) at the detriment of what is important (my health). Unfortunately or fortunately I have learnt my lesson the hard way. Rock bottom did unceremoniously arrive, I had no direction, growing resentment towards my so called career and this massive black dog which sat quite comfortably on my shoulders.

Whilst hitting the bottom wasn't ideal, perhaps it was necessary. If I hadn't taken charge and prioritised myself I know that I would not have set foot in a classroom again.

Sanders says that in order to resolve conflict we must remain emotionally detached, be assertive as required and accept that not everyone will get a happy ending. It's a big, but essential, lesson to learn.

A book that was recommended to me this year called "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office" is a worthwhile read and as Sanders suggests you can say "no" without feeling guilty. This was my first step towards being proactive (in terms of my work and shaking off the black dog). I did have to find and develop my independent will, as Convey states. In order to take back control of the wheel I now know that the highest value must be placed on myself so that I can be an effective human being, daughter, friend and teacher. Not the other way round! I needed to learn the hard way that I can "pleasantly, smilingly, nonapologetically" say "no".

In addition, I have learnt that delegation is a term that should not be used without the accompanying descriptor "effective". When it is, we have the creation of what has come to be known amongst my colleagues and myself as the "flick pass" and NOBODY is a fan of that!

Gilman's list of the four habits of highly effective librarians may seem like common sense but as someone who considers themself an intelligent, articulate human being, I wonder how often the expectation to deal with the "urgent" clouds our need to prioritise the "important".

And that, is my "aha!" moment.

Check out this clip if you are in need of an "aha" or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment