My journey to the library.

My Journey to the Library.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Getting started.

Last night I had my family around for some hearty beef casserole and my sister commented that it was no surprise that I was pursuing a career as a Teacher-Librarian as I did 'catalogue' our collection of books in our once shared bedroom! I'd forgotten about this until she mentioned it...but I do now recall that she drew the line at following my strict borrowing procedures.

So I guess you could say I'm not only a book lover but an information junkie. I devour the news, pride myself on my googling powers and will read just about anything. Oh, and I guess from my sister's insight, you could say I like to be organised...

Studying whilst teaching full time will be a challenge (chocolate and coffee will be my staples), it is a much needed transition for me as my day to day teaching isn't really motivating me this year.

My dog, Tully, is not too impressed that I now have commitments that distract me from smothering him with more love and affection but, alas he will survive... as will I ...I hope.

5 comments:

  1. Teaching is not one of my fortes as I think I will go nuts. Why are you not motivated about your teaching job? Is it because of the subject matter? If I was teaching and feel bored I'd take the little kiddies (I'm assuming they're little) to the zoo or adventure playground. But maybe that's not part of the curriculum...aahh the curriculum programs hey? I wish I could write them. I have a few ideas of my own.

    Good luck with your studies for this session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karina,

    My lack of motivation comes from falling aimlessly into a great big rut. I went from school, to uni, to school and I've been teaching at the same high school for 10 of my 11 year career = big fat rut. Plain and simple really.

    It wasn't one thing/program/student etc that acted as the catalyst for this change. I just knew that I didn't want to be in the same position in another 10 years.

    So, instead of resenting the position I find myself in I have decided to tackle a new challenge (but oh how I wish the process that led to the decision was as simple as that).

    Just knowing that I am heading towards something new and exciting is helping me to rediscover my love for teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janelle, I completely understand what you are saying! I thought a break for a few years (3) would help but I still have not refound that passion. For me, it is trying to convince students that learning really is worthwhile when they really don't want to be there... A large part of me just doesn't care anymore and wishes they could be elsewhere... That said, I'm not a terrible teacher! :D But I do believe good teachers need to be passionate about what they are doing. I believe the TL role will help me to reignite that passion. Let's hope it works for us both! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kerrie,

    It definately sounds like we have a lot in common. I also believe that teaching is a job you have to want to do. Realistically there are easier ways to earn a living than performing for up to 150 disinterested teens a day! Arghhh!

    Here's hoping this new venture does the trick because my Plan B is to marry a multi-billionaire and that seems a tad shallow. :)

    ReplyDelete